How to Change your Name in CBSE Mark sheet or Certificate

हिंदी में पढ़ें
August 15, 2022
By Advocate Chikirsha Mohanty

CBSE class 10 and 12 Marksheet are very important documents for students. During graduation, higher studies, and also even in jobs, these documents play a significant role. In fact, the CBSE class 10 mark sheet is considered a birth certificate. Therefore, any mistakes in these documents will create problems for students in the future.

Many students face the complication of name correction in their mark sheets. Either their name is spelled incorrectly or the father’s name or mother’s name is mentioned incorrectly in the mark sheet. Making corrections in the name is a hectic task for students. Some of them get affidavits, others go to the CBSE office to make corrections. Due to the unknown and arduous process some, in fact, do not rectify the name and it continues to be written in the same manner. So, to help students here we have explained the process of how one can get one’s name corrected in CBSE class 10th and CBSE class 12th mark sheet.

Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

Conditions for Correction in Name

A student can correct the name if any of the following errors are there in class 10 or 12 mark sheet.

1. Spelling errors in students' names/surnames.

2. Spelling errors in students' father’s name/surname.

3. Spelling errors in students' mother’s name/surname

How to apply / Procedure for applying for Change in Name/Correction in Name:

There is an easy procedure for getting one's name changed or corrected in their mark sheet or certificate. It merely involves 4 simple steps. These have been explained below.

1. Downloading of the Application Form

You first need to download& printthe Application that can be accessed from the URL given belowand thereafter take a printout of the application form. The URL for the application form is http://cbse.nic.in/faq/dupform.pdf

2. Filling of the Form

The second step requires you to read the instructions given at the bottom of the Application Form and fill up all the details in the form carefully.

3. Submission of Documents

There are certain documents required to be submitted in order to make corrections or changes in your name as given in the Admission form(s) filled in by the parents at the time of admission. These documents include the School Leaving Certificate, Admission documents, etc.

Consult: Top Civil Lawyers in India

4. Submission of Fee

Some fee is required to be paid in order to get the corrections/changes. The fee varies according to whether the name to be corrected isyours or that of your parents or whether it is a migration certificate or provisional certificate, etc. Given below is the breakup of different fees depending upon the varied documents and changes:

• Fee for Name Correction in Mark sheet/Certificate – Rs.1000 (Fee of Mark sheet/Certificate Included)

• Fee for Change in Candidate’s Mother’s Name/Father’s Name/Guardian’s Name – Rs.1000 + Actual Cost of the Document

• Cost of a Migration Certificate - Rs. 250

• Cost of Provisional Certificate - Rs 200

Documents / Materials Required for making Changes in your Name

Applications regarding the change in name/surname will be considered where such changes have been permitted by a Court of Law and notified in a Government Gazette. In the event of the Court of Judicature allowing the change of name of a candidate, the same shall be carried out by the Board after obtaining relevant documents concerning the change of name published in an official gazette. The documents that may be required have been given below:

• The School Leaving Certificate of the previous school was submitted by the parents of the candidate at the time of admission.

• A portion of the page of admission and withdrawal register of the school where the entry has been made in respect of the candidate.

• The Board may affect necessary corrections after verification of the Original records of the school and on payment of the prescribed fee.

Can CBSE deny Students changing Names on Certificates?

The Supreme Court in June 2021 found that a CBSE Rule stating that students were prohibited from changing their names on certificates as it would impact administrative efficiency was absurd. The court held that the Board’s bylaws were more concerned with the paperwork that they’ll have to go through instead of the students’ prospects. The Court ordered the Board to take immediate action and introduce a proper mechanism to record the correction of a name or altering it, as the case may be.

It was highly disproportionate of the Board to use administrative efficiency as an excuse to make it almost impossible for a student to change their identity in the Board certificates regardless of how urgent or significant it is.

raveena
ma'am if there is spelling correction in mark sheet from 10 years old 10th marksheet will it be possible??

Reply by LawRato
Yes, it is possible. Please refer to the above article for the procedure and other details. 

Sakshi
Mam my mother name is poonam but its written as poonam devi in m 10th and 12th mark sheet ...can I change it ????

Reply by LawRato
Yes, the name can be altered/edited/changed. You can follow the procedure stated in the article above for the same. 

Simran
How much time does cbse take for name correction? And issuing updated marksheet

Reply by LawRato
There is no fixed time allotted by CBSE for correction but it takes about 1-2 months. It could also depend upon the urgency shown by your school for correction.

If the school wants to get it corrected quickly then you may receive the marksheet within time prescribed. Therefore, you can apply through your school if the option is available with all the required documents.

Marta basumatary
Marksheet mai Spelling kaise correct krega class 10 mai

Reply by LawRato
The general procedure is approach concerned regional office from where you have attended exam during 10th class with your credentials and your father’s identity proof like Aadhar card/voter card etc.
Fill up the form which you can download from CBSE website too and submit it to regional office along with a demand draft (DD).
Amount of demand draft depends on urgency of your requirement. If you opt for urgent basis, amount will be a bit higher than normal and time taken for issuance will be less. Usually a couple of weeks.
You will receive a new certificate with corrected name.

Himanshu yadav
Mam I am a student of class 12 and my mother's correct name is sunita but it is written Suneeta in my class 10 marksheet please guide me what to do i am very troubled....

Reply by LawRato
In order to correct your mother's name in your class 10th mark sheet, you have to write an application regarding the same to your education board. You also have to provide proof of your mother's correct name and must have to pay the requisite fee for the process. If everything goes right, you will get your new class 10 mark sheet.

Jaskaranpreet Singh
I want to correction of one word in my father name on 10,12 dmc and tell me documents required, amount

Reply by LawRato
The documents required are education proof such as 10th original marksheet, school leaving certificate etc, ID proof, address proof, photo, duly filled application form. 
And the procedure that needs to be followed is download the application form from the official website of CBSE, fill the form carefully and correctly, submit the application form, pay the fee as prescribed.

Nischaya Reddy
Can I change my name my name is misspelled at the time of birth can I change it can I change my name in cbse 10th class marksheet if yes please explain of changing

Reply by LawRato
Your name in your CBSE Marksheet can only be changed if there is a spelling error in the Marksheet itself. If there is a spelling error in your name on your birth certificate and the same has been recorded in your school at the time of your admission, your name in the CBSE Marksheet cannot be changed. It is advised that you consult a documentation lawyer for your query.

Aniket
I want to change my name from Aniket to Vineet in both 10th n 12th CBSE marksheet

Reply by LawRato
You can change your name in your CBSE 10th and 12th marksheet only if there are spelling errors in the name. For this, you can download the Application Form from the CBSE website or obtain it from the Admission Department of your school. After filling in the required details, it needs to be submitted along with a few documents including the School Leaving Certificate and the entry register of the school relevant to the candidate. A certain amount of fee is also deposited. After this, the Board takes into consideration the request and verifies the original documents as well. It is advisable that you consult a documentation lawyer for your query.

Anurag Tripathi
My father original document has different surename than what I have given in mine documants......what can. I do?

Reply by LawRato
If you want to change the surname in the marksheet you can change it through an application form available on the CBSE website or in the admission department of your school. You will have to fill in certain details for the name change and then submit the documents. If you want to, you can get in touch with a documentation lawyer for your queries.

Md armish shad
As per school record my name is Md Aramish shad and name mentioned in marksheet same as school record but i want to change name Md Armish shad intead of MdAramish shad so how can i change this ?

Reply by LawRato
If you want to change your name follow the given steps:

1. Prepare an affidavit with the help of a documentation lawyer, print it on a stamp paper, get it duly signed by two witnesses, and visit a notary to notarize the affidavit.

2. Publish an advertisement of the name change in a local and national newspaper.

3. Publish the name change in the Gazette.
After having your name changed legally, you can proceed to get your name changed in the marksheet as well.

R P Singh
How do I change name( Father’s Name) in my son class XII CBSE marksheet?

Reply by LawRato
The name of the student, father's name, and mother's name can be corrected in the CBSE mark sheet. You will have to collect an Application form from the CBSE website (it is also available in the admission department of each school), fill in the required details, attach the required documents, and pay the requisite fees.

KARANDEEP SINGH
I WANT TO CHANGE MY FATHER NAME. THERE HAVE ONE LETTER IS MISSING.

Reply by LawRato
CBSE provides for a change in name of the student, the father, and the mother. All you have to do is collect an application form from the CBSE official website, fill in the required details, attach relevant documents, pay the fee, and submit it.

Neha yadav
I want change my father's name word just a word so tell me how i can do ? Plz

Karan Singh Mathur
I want to change my full name

Pramid lama
how to change title in 10th Marksheer and Admit card

Palak
How to change my dob in 10th marksheet

Vishwajeet Singh
How we correct name in class 12rrsult

Rohit
How to change mother sur name yadav to devi

Tejas
Name change in 10th marks sheet ?

Anjali Grover
How I can change my surname devi to Grover

Senthil
10th marksheet mai name change

Bhupender Sharma
i want to change my surname, what is the process

Raj Aryan
I want to change my full name

Atul
Correction 10th cbse board marks sheet what is the amount I pay..???

Poonam
Want to remove my surname from my 10th dmc CBSE

Hritik Sharma
If we have made a mistake in admission form also but having all documents correct such as Aadhar and other related documents then how will we made it correct in 10marksheet

These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Sector-16 , Faridabad
Kanpur Nagar , Kanpur
Koregaon Park , Pune
Advocate Atulay Nehra
Sector 137 , Noida