Are Jat in UP included in OBC category as per recent government order?

Are Jats in UP included in the OBC category as per the recent order passed by the Govt.? I had applied for JEE Main in the OBC category and now want to apply in the JEE Advance in the OBC category. The JEE Advance has some specifications for the OBC quota inclusions in the prospectus issued.

Please advise if I can apply under the OBC category as per the prospectus?

Answer

Yes, as per the Government notification Jat’s have been included in the Central List of OBC in nine states, namely States of Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan (two districts), Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Bihar. 

However, a Writ Petition has been filed before the Supreme Court wherein the petitioners sought a direction to quash the notification to include Jats in OBC list contrary to the recommendation of the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) rejecting such inclusion.

But the Supreme Court has refused to stay the Centre’s decision to include Jat in the OBC list. The matter is still pending before the Supreme Court.

With respect to your query, yes you can apply under the OBC category because the notification is still applicable and has not been quashed by Supreme Court.  

LH House, Bangalore