What is the procedure and grounds for filing defamation case

In Civil Law
An neighbour has submit an application for impose 144 cr PC. In his application, he has said me land mafia, not a law abiding citizen, greedy etc (all false). Can I file defamation case to prove his charge made against me. If yes, what is procedure ?

Answers (3)

117 votes
Dear Client,
you can file a defamation case in the respective District Court. For that, you have to file a draft complaint petitition stating your circumstances and annexing all your supporting documents.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


224 votes
Dear sir,

Best of my knowledge firstly you should go with the case which is the imposed by your neighbour. If it is proved that your neighbour falsely imposed you have a strong ground for file a defamation case. on oher hand defamation is defined as the writing, publication and speaking of a false statement which causes injury to reputation and good name for private interest. Defamation can be viewed criminal as well as civil offence. under Sec- 499 & 500 of Indian Panel Code victim can be filed a criminal case for defamation against the accused. Punishment for the guilty person is simple imprisonment which may extend for 2 years or fine or both. for civil suit you can move High court or subordinate court under Law of tort for damages in the form of monetary compensation.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
10 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
29 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
15 years Experience

321 votes
There is two mode for filling defamation case(1)to file petition before local Police for fIR(2)civil suit for which notice is required before filling plaint,and court fee is payable as per quantum of damage caused by such defamation

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."