Procedure to file defamation case against fiance's family

Hi, I would like to know if I can file a defamation case on an individual. I was engaged to a girl and was supposed to marry her in December 2017. Due to a few misunderstandings etc., I and my family asked for postponing the wedding. She and her family came over to our church and created nuisance. They made stories about me and abused my parents. I and my family lost our reputation, I can never get married in the church... We did not record (audio/video) of the nuisance they created, but there are eye witnesses. I would like to know if I will be able file a defamation case on the girl/her uncle and what I would need as evidence etc.

Yes, you can file a case for defamation.
You can file a complaint with the local police station and include all the details qua the defamation episode. The police will investigate the matter and book the accused for defamation.
You can also file a civil suit for defamation in the court of appropriate jurisdiction and claim compensation for loss of reputation. Seek a lawyer's advise on how to proceed with either/both.

Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi