Can a government employee open their own business

Hello All, I am having a doubt related to Government Sector in India.It was told by people to me that law does not allow government employees to have their own business. I am just eager to know that is there any Law for the same.if I am a Government Employee working under the central government then would I able to start my own business..?? Many time people in my contact came across excellent business ideas but they do not proceed due to the certain rumors(I am not sure is it a rumor or law ) that an employee working under government is not allowed by Govt of India to start their own business. One of my friends is still confused with this.he has an excellent idea of a startup but it was told by people that you cannot proceed because the law does not allow us. One has to resign from government sector to startup their business.

Answers (3)

241 votes

According to service rules, any government employee can not be open or run any business in his/her name. But if you want to run a business, for extra income, you can be start the same by the name of any member of your family i.e. wife, son, daughter, mother, father or brother.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

211 votes

Hi ,
legally A government servant is not allowed business to do business in India . But they can do business in his spouse name and children name orany family members name and supervise the business.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience
145 votes

No, A government employee is not allowed to run a private business, neither is he allowed to work anywhere else as a part-time or full-time employee. This is against government rule and hence person who is found can be charged for breaking the law.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My grandfather has 2 sons. When my father was 12 years old at that time my grandfather will all property to my elder father (elder brother of my fathe…

Read More

Need to know the procedure of doing court marriage and if it can be done at a separate venue?…

Read More

We have a property of 30 X 60. Our neighbor on the back has raised his building from the boundary, and from the first floor he has extended 2 feet bal…

Read More

Can I object him as it causes noise pollution . He wants to fix the mill INA Residential area . It causes dust and noise pollution . Càn I get …

Read More