living together before divorce

My daughter is awaiting divorce from family court.proposals are there for second divorce is not ordered at present can she think of living together?

Answers (3)

62 votes

If the divorce proceeding is contested one, then i suggest NO. but if the proceedings are mutual and already compromised then you can go ahead. But advisable in both cases to wait for proceedings to come to an end first.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

83 votes

Dear Sir,
In the recent judgments of the Hon'ble Supreme Court, it has been stated that a live in relationships is in the nature of a relationship of marriage between a man and woman. If man and woman are residing together they will be deemed to get married in the future sometime and deemed to stay together as husband and wife.
Therefore, as per Hindu Marriage Act, one cannot marry during subsistence of a marriage. It will result into bigamy and adultery.
I would advise against it. the opposite lawyer will always take a plea of adultery and try and turn the odds in his favour.
Although even if you are carrying on with the relationship then i advise you to keep it behind curtains and not let the society know.

Thank You
Advocate Mudita Sharda

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
53 votes

Living together does not change your legal marital status. As long your daughter is not re-marrying before grant of divorce from the court, she is not doing anything illegal, hence, she can proceed with the same.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles