Can a married woman live with another man without getting divorce

I am in a relationship with a married woman with a child. What are my legal rights if she comes and starts staying with me without divorce.Her husband would not divorce her. Can she be forcefully kept by her husband ?

Answers (3)

206 votes

If she comes and lives with you without obtaining divorce you will be charged with Adultry. If the woman does not want to stay with her present husband, she can file for a divorce and obtain divorce. She can take the ground of cruelty.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

81 votes

In my opinion without divorce of the first marriage it is illegal .
And her husband may file a case against you in this regard
And in my opinion without detail discussion proper consult is not possible.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
72 votes

Dear Friend, Please note that unless she is divorced staying with her will invite prosecution under section 497 of the IPC. Above all you are very well aware of that she is a wife to another person, therefore you cannot plead ignorance of her marriage. Aside on the contrary, you may stay with her if you have a permission or consent from the husband whether in implied or ex-plied, you may carry on to live with her.
No person can be forced to live together, therefore the victim can always approach the Police or the Court for necessary action. And if she is determined that she will not stay with her husband, its better to file divorce and not to hang other innocent man or any third person.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."