Husband wants divorce but I want a reconciliation and go back to him

I am a sikh. Got married 2 years and 5 months back, living separately from my husband from past 9 months. I filed a complaint in women cell against my husband, mother in law, husband's aunt and uncle (maasi and maasad ji) for their excessive interference in our marriage and trying to influence my husband against me and my parents. Since day 1 i wanted a reconciliation. However, no one at women cell is trying to pressurize them for this. Husband wants divorce and is very adamant about that. Mediator in women cell has given up just after 1 mediation stating that he is very adamant and wont change his decision. And asked me to file FIR. I dont want to do that. Do I have any other way of settling this and going back to my husband's house leagally, without filing any other complaint? Is there any legal provision which can support a wife for this. I dont have a baby right now and we both are working. Would like to know what rights do I have? all my belongings are with them. 

Answers (3)

290 votes

Restitution of Conjugal Rights - (Right to stay together)

If either the husband or the wife, without reasonable excuses, withdraws from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may approach the Court for restitution of conjugal rights.
The decree of restitution of conjugal rights cannot be executed by forcing the party who has withdrawn from the society from the other to stay with the person who institutes Petition for restitution. The decree can be executed only by attachment of the properties of the judgment debtor. The practice has shown that the decree of restitution is a paper decree.
However, if the decree of restitution of conjugal right is not honored for a period of more than one year, subsequent to the date of the decree, it becomes a ground for divorce.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

101 votes

In case you want to reconciliation than don't file FIR and it's a better option to opt and file a case of RCR(restitution of conjugnal rights) against your husband. And never opt to say to live separately with your husband. In such a case he can plea with grounds over that. As SC has directed to treat the ground for living separately as ground of harassment against husband and can grant divorce. When a girl opt to file RCR than to get desperated is not ever easy for a husband.
Best of luck. Other cases of harassment, maintenance can be filed later also with many grounds. But now file RCR.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
215 votes

You can file a petition for domestic violence seeking residence order in the shared household in which way you can get access to your matrimonial home. In the same petition you can also ask for your stridhan and belongings as well.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles