How to file for divorce if marriage is not registered

24-Apr-2023 (In Divorce Law)
I am a muslim girl married to hindu before 2years as per hindu tradition in temple. Due to differences want to apply for divorce. We hav not registered our marriage under special marriage act nor we hav documents from temple as proof of marriage. we only hv photos of wedding as proof. Plz advice divorce process.
Answers (8)

Answer #1
674 votes
Madam, the registration of marriage is not mandatory. If you feel that where there is no chance to reunite both of you, then you can apply for divorce. First you need to give a notice through an advocate. Thereafter, you can file the divorce petition in the Family court. If you want further details, plz contact .

Answer #2
519 votes
Your photos, staying address proof,any traveling documents like hotel bills, air ticket etc, gas connection, rental agreement over all primory & secondary documents proof, any two witness out off who are all present at the time of them please marriage, building owner, etc is enough to prove.
Answer #3
996 votes
It's not necessary to register under Special marriage Act, the photos are enough to prove that you are married and the procedure to file the divorce is same as any other divorce case. You can apply for a divorce divorce my Mutual consent of both husband and wife are ready to part ways.
Answer #4
816 votes
For filing divorce petition registration of marriage is not mandatory, you can file it with other supporting documents/proof like marriage card, photographs,
If you have some other things to discuss kindly explain them properly
Answer #5
677 votes
As per our legal system registration of marriage is not needed and if you want to live seperately then you can file Divorce case and in this if you are not earning then you might not need to pay any maintenance but if court order then you have to give maintenance to your wife.
Answer #6
762 votes
if you both ie. husband and wife mutually agrees to dissolve the marriage then you can dissolve the marriage by mutual consent and therein you can settle your disputes without any provisioning of maintenance or alimony provided she agrees. It is for her to claim everything, if you are alleging any ground like adultery, cruelty and desertion then under law she can very well claim maintenance and alimony. Further pertinent to note that she can only lay claim on your property, meaning thereby that your self acquired property only.
Answer #7
767 votes
Legal age for a hindu male to get married is 21 and since you got married at the age of 18, you can get your marriage annulled. If u can prove you got married at 18 your marriage will be considered void and anullment will be granted. Post annulment , your wife will cease to be your wife and hence will not have any right in the property.
Answer #8
587 votes
You cab disolve your martiage by mutual consent the easiest way of taking divorce and less time consuming.
Yes you have to pay her maintainance if she claims else you both can settle the issue of maintainace mutually.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."