Is marriage certificate mandatory to apply divorce

Me and my wife were separated for 5 years. For divorce do I need marriage certificate or marriage invitation and photo. I don't have marriage certificate. Marriage happened in a place different than mine residence. I have DL in residential address. My lawyer seems to be cheating and delaying the petition to be filed. He is asking marriage certificate. So pls let me know is it mandatory to have marriage certificate copy?

Answers (4)

189 votes

Hi.... Marriage certificate is not required if you have marriage card. You can submit all these documents to court and you can file a divorce petition . Any one of address proof is enough in jurisdictional address is sufficient.
Thank you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

117 votes

If the marriage is registered, then certificate is mandatory. Or else you have to submit marriage invitation card and photos. Having only present residential address proof will not suffice. Please be more clear in your query.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
191 votes

No, marriage certificate is not mandatory. In fact, as per Sec 8 (5) of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, not getting a marriage registered does not render it null and void. Hence, the petition for divorce can be filed without a marriage being registered as well.

182 votes

Hi Sir, the marriage certificate is not mandatory for filing divorce petition. The wedding card and marriage photos are required to submit at the time of filing the matrimonial case before the family court. The marriage certificate is option, not mandatory, if it is, need to produce, otherwise no need to submit. The above said documents are required for filing the divorce petition. If you want legal assistance, kindly contact.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles