Can an accused avoid imprisonment in sec 420 only pay fine

02-Jul-2023 (In Criminal Law)
Is it possible to set free of IPC section 420 criminal charges with just fine amount? Or imprisonment is compulsory? Can't someone be free without imprisonment?
Answers (3)

Answer #1
786 votes
IPC Sec-420 is a non bailable offence triable by JMFC.On conviction 7yrs imprisonment
It is always advisable to do out of court settlement with the complainant.No payment of only fine can be the punishment.
People also ask

How do you defend a 420 case?

420 Section To establish a case for cheating under Section 420 IPC, it is not sufficient to prove that a false statement was made; it must also be proven that the accused was aware that the statement was false and made it with the intention to deceive.

How do I settle my 420 case?

If you want to compound an offence, you should go with the complainant and ask the magistrate court concerned for permission. If you are granted permission, the court will absolve you of your offence even if it is only section 420. The only section that is raised to 420 and not any others, is sec.

How do I withdraw my 420 case?

The best way to get rid of the FIR is by asking the high court. It may be possible for the FIR to be quashed if an out-of court settlement was reached with the complainant and the chargesheet has not been filed in a case involving section 420 IPC.

How to win a 420 case?

It is necessary to prove the intention of cheating at the time the misrepresentation was made. This fact can be proven by the actions and omissions that the accused has taken since.

Answer #2
714 votes
No, if 420 is proved then imprisonment is must but depend on the case to case and discretion of the court regarding quantum of punishment , all depends upon the level and type of crime committed by the accused

Answer #3
680 votes
It is not possible to set free by paying fine amount. Though section 420 is compoundable in nature you cannot be fined. As Usually the concerned court conducts trial and at the time of trial you can pray.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."