What should be the next step if the summon returns unserved

29-Apr-2023 (In Civil Law)
Sir, In a partition suit address of one of the drfendant is not found, onece summon has been returned. What is the next step to preceed with the suit?
Answers (4)

Answer #1
575 votes
Send the summon again through special Messenger by deposit the cost in court . Or if the address of the said defendant is not found then pray for a news paper publication and publish the same in Daly news paper
People also ask

What happens if summons is not received?

The court will respond if anyone does not respond to the summons, also known as a legal notice. Or the court may initiate ex-parte proceedings in which the plaintiff would have to prove his claim by following the legal process and by providing evidence. 16-Aug-2019

What happens if summons is refused?

You will receive a second summons from the court, which usually includes a nasty message and rescheduling. The next step depends on the jurisdiction.

What does summon return mean?

In cases where the defendant fails to appear or acknowledge service, a return of summons can be issued by a third-party acting on behalf the plaintiff.

What happens if you ignore summons in India?

What happens if I ignore a summons in India

Answer #2
710 votes
Unless fresh summons in right address of the defendant is applied in the appropriate court in a stipulated time period for necessary service, the suit will be dismissed. Hence try to ascertain the right address and where abouts of the defendant.

Answer #3
997 votes
News paper publication circulated in the area of defendant..
Answer #4
497 votes
In order 9, rule 5(1), the Court will dismiss a suit if the plaintiff does not apply for a new summons after the defendant has failed to receive the summons. According to the current rule, the period for applying for a new summons is 3 months.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."