Procedure followed by court commissioner for asking questions in Court

Sir, My questions is After providing Yes / No answer before the court appointed commissioner, Neither the petitioners counsel nor the commissioner allow us to give explanation for the answer. Please tell me the procedure to be maintained by the Petitioners counsel, commissioner and the defendant with related law reference. If the commissioner not given a chance to explain my stand can i complaint the same to anyboddy?

Answers (4)

51 votes


You have every right to substantiate about the questions made by the opposite counsel and the commissioner appointed in this regard cannot refuse to write down additional information which is given by you in answer to a question made by the opposite counsel. The taking down of evidence is not merely yes or no but a detailed one. If the opposite counsel does not allows you to add further information on a question made by him, you can ask the commissioner to include the further statements made by you in answer to the question. If the commissioner fails to write down the same, you can ask your counsel or if you have not engaged a counsel you can, file an affidavit before the respective court showing details

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

138 votes

There is no hard and fast rule in this context; neither the Commissioner nor the petitioner's counsel can dictate terms to the witness. The witness always has the discretion to volunteer to depose additional information.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience
338 votes

You can give explaination for your answers. The commissioner is bound to take down your explaination. If he is not willing to do that. You can approach the court and report the same to the court and seek for changing the commissioner

140 votes

Usually the courts appoint commissioners for local inspections and for taking oral evidence of parties or witnesses. From your question it is not clear for which purpose the commissioner was appointed in your case.
Presuming your question is related to the commission for taking oral evidence of parties or witnesses, am giving this answer.
You can can very much file objection to the report filed by the commissioner stating all these facts and If you can convince the court your injury, you can hope for favorable and appropriate orders.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My late.father owned a falt in Mumbai ..has not provided any will after I had looked after my parents and. The two sisters are married .now the…

Read More

We are into service/hospitality industry. Two and half years back one of our competitors filed a Civil case against us for Trade Mark Infringement. I…

Read More

How many days does it takes to get an earliest date of hearing after filing a SLP & getting SLP number from registry ?…

Read More

I had a small puppy and for some personal reasons I had to move to UK. I gave my puppy to my sister in law telling her that I will be coming in next 6…

Read More