Can My Mother Makes (Will) Of Property Which She Got After Father Die

My father died without making will. Now property got three shares(me+mother+brother). I have some disputes with my wife. I don't have any child. That's why i made relinquishment deed in favour of mother. Now question is, if my mother makes will of this property(her+ mine) in favour of my brother's son. Can my wife claims to this property after mother death.

Answers (3)

311 votes

yes your mother can make a will in the favour of your brother's son once it is in her name . Since her share of the property is in her name in both cases, she is full owner of the properties as perHindu Succession act. She can dispose off the property to the person she likes.
for detailed advise with specific facts you may contact me.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

74 votes

Hello, I have perused you query.

In the circumstances where your father died intestate or without executing any will, the said property will be equally divided among all of his class one legal heir.
Further, your mother can only make a will in respect to her share in the property. In case you have relenquished your share in favour of your mother then she will become entitled to your 1/3rd share as well. Your wife in such a scenario will not be entitled to anything out of the said property.
Also, if your mother dies intestate or without executing any will then her share i.e. her existing 1/3rd share plus your relenquished 1/3rd share will go to the surviving legal heir as per the Hindu Law of Succession.

For any further information feel free to reach out to us.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
127 votes

Going by the facts provided by you,
I would advice that you have done a perfect job of relinquishing your right. If your mother writes a will make sure the same is registered otherwise it will be of no use.
Secondly nobody can stop your wife from asking for claim in the property but it wont be a strong case as you have voluntarily relinquished your right and your mother willingly wrote a registered will on your nephews name.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."