Work and Business Visa in India

  • There are two types of work related visas for non-Indian’s who wish to come to India for work related purposes: Business Visa and Employment Visa.

    Business Visa

    Business Visa is not applicable for people who are coming to India for part time or full time employment. Duration of business visa is only of 6 months.

    The following activities can be carried out under a business visa:
    • establishing an industrial/business venture
    • exploring possibilities to set up industrial/business venture in India,
    • purchase/sell industrial products or commercial products or consumer durables,
    • technical meetings/discussions,
    • attending Board meetings or general meetings,
    • providing business services support,
    • recruitment of manpower,
    • for performing duties as partners in a business and/or functioning as Directors of the company, consultations regarding exhibitions or for participation in exhibitions,
    • trade fairs, business fairs etc.

    Employment Visa

    Those who want to take up employment or consultancy in India for a substantial duration are required to take an employment provided that they are being sponsored for an Employment Visa by their employer and they draw a salary in excess of US$ 25,000 per annum. The condition of annual floor limit on income will not apply to:
    • Ethnic cooks,
    • Language teachers (other than English language teachers) / translators and
    • Staff working for the concerned Embassy/High Commission in India.

    Residential permit

    Foreign nationals including their family members who intend to stay in India for more than 180 days or have visa for more than 180 days, have to get themselves registered with the Foreigners’ Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within 2 weeks of their first arrival in India. They are required to make an application in the prescribed form and be present in person at the time of registration.

     The following documents are required to be submitted along with application:
    • Application form in quadruplicate (Form A)
    • Passport and visa in original
    • 4 passport size photographs
    • Proof of residence in India
    • Copy of employment contract and undertakings by the employer
    • Once the FRRO is satisfied about the above documents, a “Residential permit” to stay in India is issued to the foreign national.


    These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer

    These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Get free legal advice from top Immigration lawyers for your specific issue

Immigration Lawyers in India

Advocate Geetinder Singh

  Lawrence Road
 Experience: 6 years

Advocate Sunderjit Nanua

  Old Post Office Street
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prudhvi Raju

 Experience: 18 years

Advocate Arun Kumar

  District Court
 Experience: 25 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly