Husband is not ready to live separately from in laws

I m 35 yrs old married woman. Having a daughter aged 3 yrs. my in laws wants us to live with them at their place. The house we share is in mother in laws name and father in law is co owner. My husbands brother and his wife also share this house. In laws are retired. My husband n brother in law share all financial loads like electricity n ration and other expenses. Father in law doesn't want to even contribute a single penny though he has enough money and is the owner of the house. At the same time. There is no privacy at all. We are bound to do every thing according to their wish otherwise they are ready to emotionally blackmail us. I am a post graduate and was working with a reputed company. Left job after delivery. My husband is not ready to move out or even bother to purchase a property in his or my name. Can I move out myself as I do not want my daughter to live in this tensed atmosphere. I myself want to live with self respect and as per my wish. I

Answers (3)

60 votes

Yes !you could move and live separately if you feel so ,and had valid ground but could not compell your Husband to leave his parents and get separate residence against his wish ,because if you do it will come under cruelty and ground for divorce as recently decided by Hon'ble Supreme Court .In short it's your wish if you want you could ,and can also demand maintenance ,but for that there should be a valid grounds .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

187 votes

You and your husband has 50% share in the house, to get that you have to live with the family. You can again find Job for yourself to keep yourself busy.
I will advise you to contact further in this case.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
271 votes

You can do but for that you have to calculate all losses and gains. It will be if you convice your husband for same. Here you have not mentioned what your husband is doing. Moreover if start staying seperate than what is plan regarding income. So please call me with brief of case

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."