Procedure to dissolve marriage within 8 months of marriage

I had committed registry marriage (hindu) on 08/06/17 but since that day I have not lived with her for some reason and now both of us want to abolish the legal bond of marriage. I am not interested to carry on that marriage. What is the procedure to dissolve the marriage in this situation ? What are needed steps ? P.S- she has been living in her parent's house which is 700 km away from my place

Answers (4)

59 votes

firstly you have to wait for another two months I.e upto the end of June 2018 to file a Title suit for declaration that you are still a bachelor as your said marriage has not been consumated because you both are living separately at your respective address since the said day of Registration of Marriage.alongwith to cancel the said Marriage Registration certificate before the competent court against her.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

231 votes

Under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the parties can seek divorce by mutual consent by filing a petition before the court. Mutual consent means that both the parties agree for peaceful separation.

Mutual Consent Divorce is a simple way of coming out of the marriage and dissolve it legally. Important requirement is the mutual consent of the husband & wife.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
129 votes

You have to live separately for 1 year or more before filing of the case and also you have to wait for atleast 6 months after filing the case. The 6 months cooling period is not mandatory after the case of Amardeep Sing vs Harveen Kaur in Supreme Court, though under certain guidelines. So you must have to wait for at least 1 year before filing a case under sec 13 B of Hindu Marriage Act or sec 28 of the special marriage act.

186 votes

File a petition before the court on the ground of non consumption of marriage.
Better you may call me for further discussion.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I am Hindu .7 years back I married my brother in law. that time I was a minor . I returned my after six months. since 6 years I am staying with my par…

Read More

Sir meri 9-10 year ki age m child marriage hui thi,ab m 20 year old hu aur wo ladki 18/19 year old h,kya m case kr skta hu,kya m jeet skta hu,mere pas…

Read More

I got married on 8-5-2016 & we want to go for divorce now. What is the fastest way to get divorce?…

Read More

I and my wife have settled our case in Mediation centre Court. As per the terms & conditions she has to withdraw DV act within a week after first …

Read More