Can any law restrict me to visit matrimonial house

I have filed domestic violence case against my husband & in laws (including brother in law & his wife). In an application to deny maintenance to me, they have told the court to restrict me from visiting my in-law’s home. Is there any such law which restricts me & my son to visit my in laws home? & what if I still visit their home? Court has not passed any order to me to not to go there. Please suggest.

Answers (5)

192 votes

there is no law to restrict you for visit your matrimonial house except decree for judicial seperation
in fact Domestic Violence Act provides some special remedies like to live in sharehold house, order to do not enter your husband and in laws in your premises at your matrimonial house
section 17, 19,21 provides you rights

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

202 votes

Hi no one can restrict you or your child to visit only if any application is mad3e from your side otherwise court also will not make any such kind of order in that respect the court can only ask for settlement.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
127 votes

In which court you have filed DV case against your husband and in-laws.
There is provision in Protection of Women From Demotic Violence Act under section 19 for RESIDENCE ORDER and under section 21 FOR CUSTODY OF YOUR CHIELD.

224 votes

No there is no such provision in law which restrict wife and son from visiting the in laws house since after marriage you have legal right over your husbands self acquired property. Thanks and regards.

90 votes

If there is no order restraining you from going your matrimonial home they can't stop you but getting an entry there against their will be difficult . If there is a need to visit and they don't allow you file an application for the same specially if you want to live there.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles