×

quesEngagement cancelled. Now asking for money else will file false case.

Recently i was engaged to a girl. Due to some reason i called off the engagement. Now the girl's parents are asking for the money spent on the engagement and are threatening if we do not pay the money they will file case and complaints against us to the police. Can they do so? What can be done if they do so? We did not demand any dowry from them.

Legally there's no privity between you and the girl. Therefore no legal case is made out. 

If for the expenses they file a case, you might also have spent money and you might be having documents available to prove the expenses. 

We will suggest you not to be scared of any threatening of girls parents and you should not give any money.

If they file false case against you before the police, you should appropriately defend yourself and further state in the defence that the marriage was called off due to temperamental issues between you and girl.

• ansLegally there's no privity between you and the girl. Therefore no legal case is made out.

Advocate Ashima Puri

Saket District Court, Delhi