How to recover a copy of RC and insurance of my stolen vehicle ?

In Insurance Law
I have lost my Four wheeler in Jaipur which also contained the Original as well as Photocopied documents of Registration Certificate and Insurance Papers. Now I am asking the police station (from where the vehicle was stolen) to issue me something in written so that i can recover a duplicate copy of RC from RTO Office, Jaipur, Rajasthan. But the police is not issuing me any such thing and now am not able to recover a duplicate copy of the RC. Kindly let any solution known to me at earliest. Regards

Answers (1)

287 votes


First step is to write an application to SI (Sub Inspector), Police Station in your locality that you have lost your car RC with Particulars of:-
>> Car Registration Number
>> Car Make & Model
>> Engine Number
>> Chassis Number
>> Car Owner Name with Address

and request for issuing Challan for Missing RC Book. This Challan is like an Intimation Copy about lost or stolen. The same can also be done Online - like Delhi Police has started off - Lost and Found - Online Intimation. You can even post the details there and take a print out. Do note that You need to mention - since when is RC Book missing, where you have most probably lost it and request them to issue a Missing RC Book Challan.

Attach with it a copy of your :-
> ID Proof, Address Proof,
> Insurance Policy, & Photocopy of RC or Smart Card (if available)
> Driving License Copy

There are no fees or charges needs to be paid for same. Missing RC Challan copy will be issued by Police.

Second Step : Fill up RTO Form 26 (2 copies, if vehicle is financed) - Download Form 26

Third Step :- If the vehicle has Active Loan, you need to get a No Objection Certificate from the Financing Bank - that they have issue no objection letter to RTO Officer to issue you a duplicate RC with Hypothecation.

Documents to take Before going to RTO Office
> Take a Blank file for making a set of papers in it
> self stamped envelope (equivalent to value of registered post) with your address mentioned on it
> Filled up RTO Form 26
> Chassis Imprint of the Vehicle
> RC Missing Intimation Copy from Local Police Station
> No Objection Certificate from Financing Bank (if vehicle has Hypothecation)
> Notarized ID Proof, Address Proof of Car Owner with PUC Copy, Insurance Copy
> 2 to 3 Passport Size Photographs (as some RTO are now issuing Biometric RC Smart Card)
> Previous RC Photocopy (if available)
> Affidavit Application (in some RTOs they also ask for Affidavit on Rs. 20 stamp paper stating that Duplicate RC needs to be issued, as misplaced and is not submitted or seized by Traffic Police or under any crime)

The same docket needs to be submitted along with appropriate fees for duplicate RC Issuance Rs. 350 (approx). Can expect the smart card to be sent by registered post to your address in the same self stamped envelope as given to RTO.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Insurance Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Insurance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles