Steps to get back your property from illegal possession

हिंदी में पढ़ें
February 13, 2020
By Advocate Chikirsha Mohanty

Illegal possession is a possession on which legal sanctions are imposed because the property is not lawfully possessed. When broken into simpler words, Illegal possession or occupancy is that kind of possession which is obtained by unlawful or illegal means by the illegal occupant by producing false statements, documents or by coercion, undue influence, etc. over the rightful owner of the property so as to illegally possess the property.

Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

Generally, illegal possession is carried out in 2 ways

1.    When some random people falsify documents and illegally occupy the property by coercion (use of force). This illegal practice is common among some since they practice this as their profession. Regrettably, sometimes certain local authorities also assist these people in such unlawful practices.

2.    Such an illegal possession can also happen when a tenant refuses to vacate your premises. The most common defense used by tenants is that of adverse possession. It is advised to make a proper rent agreement before renting out your accommodation as well as acquire strong measures to avoid getting involved in such situations. These situations mostly arise when properties that are illegally occupied are left unsupervised by the caretakers, tenants with unspecified status, or properties that have been lying abandoned for years which directly makes them an easy target for such notorious people.

Adverse possession is when the rightful owner of the property loses his rights of ownership resulting from inaction on his part to get rid off a trespasser/ occupant within a statutory time period (12 years under Indian law) from his property. After the completion of the statutory limitation period for removing the trespasser/ occupant, the rightful owner is restricted from initiating any legal proceeding to gain back the possession on his property and thus, allows the trespasser to acquire the title to that property by adverse possession.

The main aim of this article is to prove that ownership without possession is absolutely meaningless since you don’t get to enjoy the fruits of the property.

Illegal possession, trespassing cases are most common when it comes to NRIs. The reasons for this are–

They don’t reside in these properties, don’t have the possession of the property at all times.

They are unable to make frequent visits, so they end up giving the possession/ control of the property to friends, acquaintances, and relatives.

Apart from this, with time many of the occupants, relatives, friends feel they own the place since there is no one to monitor and supervise the property.

Oral and unregistered agreements with tenants/ caretakers are quite common resulting in illegal possession.

Properties without caretakers and tenants which are not frequently visited by the owners themselves are a great catch for land mafia to trespass and occupy illegally.

The real meaning of possession

Possession means having the actual control over an object/ thing, whether you own it or not. However, even the person with the possession of the thing enjoys certain legal protection against third parties even if he is not the owner. This protection is given against any unlawful act of violence against the person in possession.

The rights of persons with possession come from the fact that the owner – NRIs, in this case- haven’t looked at these properties for years and they continue enjoying rights. Moreover, as mentioned earlier too, trespassers can forge documents making it difficult for them to be evicted.

Consult: Top Property Lawyers in India

How can you avoid your property from getting illegally occupied?

The best way to regain control and restore possession of your property legally is going to the court and asking for justice. Civil court remedies are easily available where personal appearances required in the court can be controlled by competent and chosen lawyers. Legal remedies are available under the law to restore the possession of properties and even protect any third party trespassing or illegal interfering with the peaceful possession.

1. Prevention is better than cure

You should create true caretaker contracts and prepare well-defined tenancy contracts. In simple terms, you must always define the status and/ or duty of the occupant having the possession of the property.

You must not let any person retain the possession of your house for a long time. You should keep changing occupancy in the property to not let it get illegally dispossessed.

2.   Actual legal measures

Under Section- 5 of the Specific Relief Act, a person who is dispossessed of his property can get possession by title.

Under Section- 6 of the Specific Relief Act, a person dispossessed may recover his right merely by proving previous possession and subsequent illegal dispossession.

Section- 145 of the Criminal Procedure Code lays down procedure where dispute concerning land or water is likely to cause a breach of peace.

A person who realizes trespassing or illegal dispossession can file a written complaint with the police against it.

A written complaint can be sent to the Superintendent of Police (S.P) of the district where the property is situated by way of registered post or by visiting the concerned police station.

In case the Superintendent of Police fails to acknowledge the complaint, a personal complaint in the concerned court can be filed through an advocate and the case can then be followed through a Special Power of Attorney when the owner cannot make his presence in the court.

Related Post: How to get your property back?

Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

What can a right competent lawyer offer you?

An advocate can provide full support, competence, and efficiency in court as well as clarity in legal representation to cope up with all such cases. A great number of such dedicated and competent lawyers across the country are available to handle such matters even in case of an NRI who might not be available to be physically present.


These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka , Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16 , Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala , Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1 , Delhi
17 years Experience

Related Articles

Connect with top Property lawyers for your specific issue

Legal Questions Answered by Top Lawyers

Property Law Articles

Right to Fair Compensation in Land Acquisition

Property Partition Laws in India

How to send a Property Partition Legal Notice?

Rights of son in Ancestral Property

User Reviews

4.8 - 22 reviews

my father is not giving me my share in family property. What action can I take?

Ankita on Jun 26, 2020

my brother took my property illegally what do I do?

Krishna on Jul 24, 2020

Good article. Please share more info on legal ways for NRIs

Vipin on Jun 22, 2020

where can I find a good property advocate?

Venkat on Jul 06, 2020

Need a lawyer for property dispute. Who to contact?

Isha on Jul 04, 2020

nicely written

Manjeet on Jun 22, 2020

very good article. Good writing

Rajkumar on Jul 15, 2020

Good work with the article. Solved all my legal queries. Regards.

Kamlesh on Jul 01, 2020

Very nice article.

Sharad on Jul 01, 2020

needed a lawyer….what is the procedure?

Priyanka on Aug 04, 2020

Very helpful for my legal case.

Sunny on Aug 04, 2020

good work

Kamlesh on Jul 24, 2020

Tells all the legalities about the subject. Good work.

Vimal on Aug 01, 2020

thanks for the information

Vaishali on Jul 13, 2020

I have a case. Who can I contact?

Rajat on Jul 16, 2020


Anupam on Aug 02, 2020

great advice. Thanks

Rajesh on Jul 04, 2020

thank you for the article

Dinesh on Jul 12, 2020

needed more information on the law

Nitin on Jul 18, 2020

The writer has explained the law perfectly.

Vikash on Jul 09, 2020

needed some more information on the subject.

Saravanan on Jul 07, 2020

needed legal advice…who to call

Shankar on Aug 01, 2020