Transfer of property to legal heir on death of owner

13-Aug-2023 (In Property Law)
My father had bought a land near Attibele, Bengaluru and now that he is dead but without any Will. We would like the property to be transferred to my Mother, so i would be very happy to know the procedures/step to the same
Answers (2)

Answer #1
525 votes
You have to approach the jurisdictional BBMP office of your area with the documents of your father's property with his death certificate and with your mother's ID Proof, residential address proof etc and have to file application by taking DD addressed to Commissioner of BBMP. Instead knowing all this contact any advocate they will help you out.
People also ask

How do I transfer property to my mother after father dies?

For a legal heir, a relinquishment document is needed to transfer permanent property rights to another legal inheritor. This is a document that must be signed by at least two witnesses and executed on stamp paper. Sub-registrars can also request indemnity bonds from other legal heirs. 07-Sept-2023

Is it necessary to transfer property after death?

After a death occurs, the legal process for Succession and Inheritance takes place. In India, it also allows for the transference of property without a valid will. To learn more about Succession and inheritance rules, you can get legal advice online.

Who has the rights to mother's property after death?

Legal heirs to a mother's estate include her children, including both sons (and daughters), her husband (if still alive), and any other blood relative. All legal heirs are entitled to the mother's property.

Who will be owner of property after father death?

If a will is not made, the property of a deceased person will be passed on to their legal heir. The property will be given to the person if the will says that someone else owns it. If there is no will then the son/daughter must claim it.

Answer #2
738 votes
That the Khata of the property can be transferred to you mothers name by producing the death certificate of your father, however if the property title needs to be exclusively transferred into your mothers name then you along with siblings (if any) has to relinquish your right in her favour.


Taji George, Advocate

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."