Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Legal notice sent by father was not received by my brother

My father send a lawyer notice to my brother due to his un availability he didn't received notice. But now he got a notice from court. We refused the notice and didn't received and sent back. What should we do? Shall we be cam or should go to court. Please advice sir/ madam

Answers (3)

In general, if a notice is refused , postal authorities will return the summons to the court with an entry that the notice has been refused.
The other side may either
a) Pay the fee and ask the court to issue notice to your brother through the court clerk in person or
b) Issue notice through paper publication with permission of court.
The courts upon convinced that your brother is avoiding issue of summons will decide ex-parte against your brother.
So it is better to take the notice and attend court proceedings.
By avoiding to receive the summons, you can delay the proceedings for about 5 months, but thereafter the court is at liberty to pass ex-parte orders in case your brother does not appear.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear Sir,
you should receive the notice from court, because already legal process commenced against your brother, hence your brother should go to court and enquiry the date of adjournment and he should attend court along with Advocate, otherwise court will take decision against your brother

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience

Hello Sir,

You said that you had not received the notice and you had not received the summons sent by the Court. Then the Court feels that it is a deemed service of notice and the court will pass orders according to the merits of the case or else pass exparte orders against you. Hence, it is better to go to the Court and follow up the case.


Geeta T.,

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

I was doing my graduation and In the final year project it is stopped by my mother and brother due to some fake money agenda that we cant pay hostel f…

Read More

We had been finding a mate for my elder sister for long. This year in january one of my uncle introduced us with a family of the boy who was intrested…

Read More

Would like to know I have to give alimony to my wife who is government employee and earns around 1 lac per month. She is having our one kid of 3 years…

Read More

What legal actions can be taken agaonst a person who evenafter several years of married life denies his wife all the rights that a wife desrves includ…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue