Legal punishment for a wife if caught in an extramarital affair

Hi.. i want to know is there any legal punishment for a wife if her husband come to know about her extramarital affair? Can husband give forcefully divorce on the basis of that or can he take any legal step towards her?? This is a hindu marriage 5 years old with a 4 years old kid? Do the husband have any right to punish her wife legally or giving a forceful divorce?

Answers (4)

343 votes

As per Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code provides the Adultery and it says “Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such sexual intercourse not amounting the offence of rape, is guilty of the offence of adultery and shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to 5 years, or with fine, or with both. In such case, the wife shall not be punishable as an abettor.” A three Judges Bench of Hon'ble Supreme Court on 05.01.2018 in W.P.(Crl.) No.-000194 / 2017 in a petition filed by an activist Joseph Shine, noted that "..the provision seems quite archaic and especially, when there is a societal progress. Thus analyzed, we think it appropriate that the earlier judgments required to be
reconsidered regard being had to the social progression, perceptual shift, gender equality and gender sensitivity. That apart, there has to be a different kind of focus on the affirmative right conferred on women under Article 15 of the Constitution. In view of the aforesaid, we think it appropriate to refer the matter to a Constitution Bench." Hence the same is under active consideration by a Five Judges Constitutional Bench of the Hon'ble Supreme Court. However, adultery is a valid ground under the Hindu marriage Act for divorce, hence, you can lodge a divorce petiiton at the ground of adultery. All the best. Regards.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

254 votes

Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code punishes a man alone for adultery for having consensual sex with a married woman. Wife cannot be punished even as an abettor. A woman is completely immune to the charges of adultery and she cannot be proceeded against for that offence. Only a man can be proceeded against and punished for the offence of adultery. The same needs to be proven with solid evidence only then the accused can be convicted if proven guilty.

However, you got a good ground for divorce, since she had voluntary sexual intercourse with any person other than you. A woman who is found to be in adultery, is not entitled to maintenance and custody of the child. For filing of the divorce petition you can get my contact details from Law Rato

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
340 votes

If any husband finds his wife having an extra marital affair, then he can proceed with divorce on that ground only. The custody of the kid shall be decided by the court. But at first we need to have a face to face interaction in order to guide you better.

99 votes

There is nothing called forceful divorce, your wife may falsely allege you in 498a and maintenance cases, be patient, collect all evidences in paper, videos and calls which needs to be approved under evidence act and be presented in contested divorce so that you sail smoothly.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles