Legal consequences for withdrawing the mutual divorce case

Hello sir , I got love marrige since 2015 I spare two days with my wife . We filed 13B because of pressure of her's family but I don't want to give her divorce , if I'll withdraw what kind of case they can file against me . They have convinced my wife now she is not with me plz give me legal suggestions

Answers (3)

276 votes

No. One party can not withdraw consent petition unless it were to be of the opinion of the Court that the terms of the settlement arrived at between the parties are unconscionable or unlawful or contrary to the public policy.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

248 votes

In the matter of section 13B of HMA both of the parties have to appear before the court to record their statement. If one of the parties does not appear in the court to record his/her statement court will dismiss the petition. This is ur constitutional right no one can stop u doing that.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
53 votes

If you withdraw the petition of section 13B, they cannot file any case on this ground.

If petition of divorce by mutual consent frustrates because of withdrawal by any party, other party has no right to take any legal action on
withdrawing party on this ground.

Your decision is right, if you don't want to leave your wife, you should not proceed with the petition of section 13B.

Now question is, what they can do against you on withdrawing the petition of section 13B?
Answer is, they may file false cases of domestic violence, dowry etc. on you. Filing such false cases does not mean you will be convicted, you can successfully defend.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

can i review the the decree of mutual divorce as i think the terms of mutual divorce are very biased?…

Read More

I had filed a 498A FIR against my husband. After advise and forgiveness from my husband i decided to take back the case. So approached the High court …

Read More

Hi, can a foreign couple filed for divorce by mutual consent in India and if so under what law…

Read More

Dear Sir Due to some situation & quarrel at my house, my wife went to her home and was staying there. I tried to bring her many times, but she ref…

Read More