Settlement requested in 498A case by the opposite lawyer

My sister had registered 498A case against her mother-in-law & husband 2 years back and hearing of the case has commenced now. Sister is summoned for evidence. Now opposition lawyer is asking for a settlement. What would be our right terms and conditions to close the case and stay away from them. We are hindus.

Answers (5)

273 votes

Sir, you have mentioned that "stay away from them", it means that where there is no chance to reunite both husband and wife. At this stage, the wife have option to choose settlement by imposing reasonable terms and conditions like as permanent alimony or maintenance, mutual divorce, if issues are there, she can claim partition on behalf of childrens. You can contact me further details.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

194 votes

Before settlement of 498a you should settle the pending case in family courts if taking the divorce or settle through out of courts.( by deciding to stay with husband) so 1st remedy is you should settle the family court case first.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
142 votes

if you are ready to go for settlement you can settle the matter by referring to mediation there you both will be called and counseling will be made then if you want to settle you can or you can continue with the case

148 votes

Dear client
Your sister had filled a case against your brother in law and aunt that already came to evidence stage it is right time to approach to compromise the case in veiw of your sister future settle with your lawyer

343 votes

Hi... if you people are ready for settlement you both party can arrive at a settlement and report the same before the court. If u have any monetary claim from opposite party you can decide it before going court.
Thank you

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles