Procedure to withdraw case 498A as exparte divorce already obtained

I had filed a 498a in July, 2015 against my husband but the chargesheet was never filed. My ex-husband had already obtained an ex-parte divorce in May 2017. I want to withdraw the 498a without involving my husband. How can I do it?

Answers (3)

My advice to you is to contact the concerned Police Officer before whom you have filed the 498A case and see that he files a 'B' Report, since he still has filed the charge sheet and sent it to court.
Failing which you can engage an advocate, furnish the Ex-parte Divorce Order copy and produce the same before the concerned High Court and get the proceeding/FIR/498A case quashed before the high Court- on the grounds that Divorce has been obtained, Charge Sheet not yet filed by the Police inspite of ample time given to them, now you have no intentions of proceeding against your husband so the High Court under the provision of 482 CrPC can quash the case.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Since the offence under Section 498a is a criminal offence, so for withdrawing the same you will need to file an application of withdrawal of case to the High Court of jurisdiction. Please mention that this is an application for the High Court to exercise its powers under Section 482 of CrPC and attach written affidavits from all members of your family stating that they have no objection to this withdrawal.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

You approach to the police station where you lodged a complaint against your husband and in -laws.please write a letter to the police station stating that differences has been amicably settled out of the court and the complaint may kindly be closed as I am Withdrawing the said complaint against my husband and in laws.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I am victim of robbery by 2 people for no. 435/16 of mfc police stn kalyan . police initially refused to file fir but then I went on a hunger strike a…

Read More

I had filed a case under section 420 against a person but now i want to withdraw the case, what is the process to take down my case from the Court?…

Read More

My sister filed src 125 for herself & her school going child. But court had given only maintenance for child. My sister decide to review only her …

Read More

Sir/Madam, Recently i come to know that my brother sold property by showing settlement decree and order by Llokadalat of the year 2008.infavor of him …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue