Defamation of character based on attire.

My spouse lives alone in an apartment in Dum Dum. Her neighbors from a different building have been creating a ruckus at her place about what she wears while cooking and while coming out of the shower. They stare at her sometimes through the window. Is there any way to take action?

Answers (5)

107 votes

In Indian society there is a social frame practically used and some persons living in society want to make attention about social rites and rituals but on other hand growing society feel s following such old rites and rituals only a bother hence it becomes a reflection of conflict . First of all I advise you that your spouse has to maintain the norms of society if any violation is made by your wife though none is eligible to Ruckus going beyond law you may contact to police regarding the matters

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

207 votes

Yes, ofcourse. It's a criminal offence. Ask her to go before the local police station and to lodge a specific written complaint stating everything in brief. It is a kind of sexual harassment introduced in our Penal Code after Nirbhara incident in Delhi.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
326 votes

Look, General proposition is this, if anyone create any sorts of nuisance whatever may be, and it amounts to create troubles of other, then the person upon whom such nuisance work have done, can lodged complaint before the Police Authority. Here the disturbance or nuisance shall be the basis of such Complaint. Mere presumption is not enough.

54 votes

Yes you can lodge a complaint stating outraging of womans modesty its her home and choice to do whatever she wants and none should have any botheration for the same. Such bothered people should be taken as a curse to society

82 votes

Sir, perused your problem in details. From the facts stated, we would advise you to send a legal notice to such neighbours to the effect that their such acts of staring at your wife is not called for and to ask them to refrain them from doing such acts as the same. Please contact for more details.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles