Legal procedure to get custody of daughter who is 17 years old

my daughter is 17yrs ld and stays with her dad and grandparents . now that both grandparents are expired and he is not taking care of her properly as to which she contact me and asked me t save her from this situation . kindly guide me that what i can do best to save her and get her custody

Answers (3)

It is pointless to initiate any kind of proceeding at this stage unless the situation is very grim and serious for your daughter as in a span of one year your daughter will turn 18 and then she can live with whoever she wants to. All orders of access and custody survive only till children turn 18 as thereafter it is there call who to meet and who to live with.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

According to HINDU MINORITY and Guardianship act 1956 said child i below 5 year, the child will be mother custody but in your situation your child age is 17 year here she is minor but she is not child because according to LAW child means below 14 years so now the condition in front of you that how save your child in this condition because grand parents were expired so your husband is not take care do here you do one thing according HINDU MINORITY and Guardianship act 1956 file a suit for taking custody of your child and in that suit you also mentioned all the detail and present condition of the your child then court will give GOOD direction or decision for your child or if you have any confusion about this matter you just contact GOOD Local lawyer who give you best guidance directly for this legal matter.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Sudershani Ray
Kailash Hills, Delhi
12 years Experience
Advocate Unmesh Gopal Dindore
Shaniwar Peth, Pune
11 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience

you can ask her husband directly and if je is not ready fr doing so you can issue Him legal notice through Advocate therafter you can approach family court for child custody but in court you have to prove or show u r bonfide and financially sound to care of her and acts of torture by husband aginst u r daughter . ibam of the opinion you will be succeed at this age of u r daughter, because court will look after the girl requirements at this age and who can care of her in all asect.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

hi mam/sir, I want to know how can I meet my baby if my wife doe not allow me to meet?Can I take baby back to my home for few days? …

Read More

We are Christian. My daughter ran away from home and got married hurridly. At the time of marriage she was 19 and the boy was 22. They got married in …

Read More

I'm a mother of five years boy. My husband had been very voilent in his conduct through past three years of our marriage. Initial verbal abuse was…

Read More

We are Muslim family. My brother had 2 daughter one is 11 and other is of 8 years.His wife has done second marriage a month/ 15 days ago. So can he ge…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue