Procedure to claim child custody as husband filed for divorce

Child custody for mother 07 year as per Hindu marriage act . Girl child is with father.father has filed for divorce.

Answers (3)

91 votes

You have to file petition for seeking custody under HMA before the family court by disclosing the grounds in support of your claim of customers child. Generally the custody of minor girl child is given to the mother, but overall benefit of the child is the main point of consideration.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

80 votes

The cases for child custody are governed by The Guardians and Wards Act and Hindu Guardians and Minority Act .As the father is the natural guardian of the child and mother is guardian of the child after him ,a gurdianship case will have to be filed in the family court seeking relief of declaration of morher as guardian of the child and further seeking relief of permanent custody of the child under various sections of the above mentioned Acts.Normally the custody of child of upto 5 years of age is with the mother and in the present case also the girl child being only 7 years of age ,the Court will most probably grant custody of girl child to mother .As the proceedings may take time and the girl child is in custody of father,a prayer for visitation rights of the child to the house of mother can be made for holidays and in vacations as an interim measure till the case is finally decided so that the girl child is not deprived of company of mother during pendency of the case .If custody is granted to the mother ,father will get visitation rights on terms fixed by the Court .

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
246 votes

Under the hindu minority and guardianship acg 1956, the custody of all children below the age of 5 years is given to the mother
Cases of child custody are treated on an individual case by case basis, thanks

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles