Can you file for Child Custody without Divorce

me and my wife are living separately since the past 2 years and I have a 4 year son who lives with her mother in Kolkata. Section 9 RCR pass in my favour. can I file child custody with out divorce.

Answers (4)

Look. As per Law, till 5 years age of a Child, mother custody is the best custody. Therefore, it is quite negative for your side to file custody for your son at this present stage. Please after attaining 5-6 years you can proceed for it. and it will be better.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Custody and divorce are two different things. You can always fight for your custodial rights without going for divorce. But i will suggest till the time your son attains the age of 5, hold on. After that file your custody case. For that you need get the details of the whereabouts of the mother. Filing these type of cases need time. You need to accumulate the evidences and then proceed. For that we need to sit and strategize. I have an office near High Court and a chamber at Prince Anwar Shah. My name is Debangshu Dinda, i guess you can find my contact details in the site itself or you can always get in touch through linkedin by typing my name. Feel free to give me a call and we will strive to give you the best of relief.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

Normally a minor child of below 7yrs. is kept with her mother's custody. In some exceptional cases father can apply for custody of such child before Ld. District Judge. Well being of the child is major factor for that decision of court.

You can file the same but it should be mind it, the Ld. Court may allow your submission if you success to prove some essential requirement, like for better education, care, caution, status, your Income etc. If U have the same, I can do this as a Lawyer.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Mere mama ki biwi bina divorce bhaag gyi h sath me apne 6 saal ki beti ko le gyi aur 12 saal ke ladka ko chordi .. uska affair family member me se hog…

Read More

The son now aged 15 years old , residing in Dehradun, was adopted by his Uncle in 2005 when he was 5 yrs old abandoned by his mother . There was no do…

Read More

Sir, I and my husband always have a fight due to my in-laws and he hits me all the time. So third time I called my parents and told them everything si…

Read More

My husband is asking for a settlement in mediation centre detail and side by side he is fileing a case against me through marriage act 7 in bhiwani fo…

Read More