Can company take action against me even after giving relieving letter

I had served less notice period in my previous organisation. I cited personal reasons for quitting and they let me go without serving my complete notice period. They didnt ask for payout also. They have give me my relieving letter and final settlement. Now they have come to know that I am working elsewhere and they sent me an email asking for explanation and come and give proper handover. I have handed over everything and that is why they gave me my relieving letter. Can they take legal action against me now?

In order to main cordial relationship and so that it doesn't affect your present job, it would be a good idea to respond to the email mentioning that you submitted your resignation, cite the facts and mention that you were let go after they satisfied the rules and regulations within the company. However, it is strange that you served a less notice period and had no payout - so if your former employer let go of you without serving full notice period and without pay out due to any specific policy for eg., if you had cited medical reasons and specific issues for leaving but in reality it is false, and you are working elsewhere now, it could be construed that you lied in order to leave the company without any monetary loss.

Normally they will not taking legal action , even thou taken legal action, first they should send you legal notice stating established or valid ground reason , then you may have tile to reply the notice, kindly consult me the full details.