What should I do if my husband has abandoned me and my daughter

27-Apr-2023 (In Family Law)
I am married for 6+ years with 3 year old daughter(US born) residing in USA.I moved to USA following my husband decided to work here. 1) Mental Torture : I underwent in lot of mental torture from the begining of the marriage.My husband always threatened me to divorce me.He will say i want divorce atleast 10 times on the daily basis. 2) Irresponsible: He is not taking any responsibility of me and my daughter.He has moved out of my USA residence from last 5 months.He is not supporting me financially also.I am surviving with my low income job.When i started using his accounts to pay home rent he blocked all his accounts for me.And sent me mail stating that we have emotionally,physcially,spiritually divorced.In actual he just moved out no legal action has taken for the divorce.I do not know what to do in the foreign land without any help from parents/my family. I can not come back to USA as i have all the household setup with house lease which i can not break in between.pls suggest some
Answers (1)

Answer #1
633 votes
Here is a stepwise solution on, what to do if NRI wife is harassed by spouse.
Step 1 First and foremost, you must not come under pressure to accept your ill-treatment, abuse or desertion.

Step 2 You can approach the nearest Indian Embassy/Consulate for assistance/advice, to file a complaint with the local police about harassment, abandonment, ill-treatment, etc.

Step 3 The Indian Embassy/Consulate can assist in providing contact details of local NGOs, approach the local police, contact your family/friends, etc. who could help you.

Step 4 The Indian Mission can be contacted for initial legal/financial assistance to file a case against your husband in the foreign country.

File the police complaint locally and try to solve the problem with the help of local authority first.

Step 5 As the NRI holds the Indian citizenship they can file for cases under the Indian Penal Code for 498A, or other such penal provisions in the Indian Court.

Step 6 Indian courts are competent to entertain such pleas. Therefore, do not be afraid of legal issues while filing the case.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."