Does one need to pay alimony in case of a chronic illness

My brother is suffering from end stage kidney failure for the past two years. and he is waiting for Kidney transplant. He got married in dec 2015 and now my brother and his wife are living separately for the past 1 year. Now they are asking for Mutual divorce and we are also ready for a mutual separation. Here is the problem.They are demanding 5 lakhs amount now. We are ready to give 2 Lakhs that they gave for the marriage expenses. But they are threatening us that if we dont give 5 lakhs, they will take different route and we might end up paying fixed amount for the rest of the life. They are also quoting a case that judgement has been delivered in favour of the girl demanding alimony from her husband due to his kidney failure. Court has ordered the person to pay 15k per month to the girl. My brother is not working currently and he is living with the support of my father. Are we entitled to pay money in this current situation?

Answers (3)

275 votes


Their claim is unsubstantiated and a mere threat. Alimony and Maintenance is governed by various factors and it depends on the facts and circumstances of each case. You need to take the right legal steps to protect the interests of your brother and to safe guard your family from any wrongful prosecution and harassment. I would need more relevant information to advise you the right course of action. Please get in touch with me so that I may do the needful.

Arunkungumaraj Subramanian

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

128 votes

Hello Sir,
Alimony needs to be paid to a person when she isn't able to maintain herself. When the woman is qualified enough (you haven't mentioned your brothers wife educational qualification) and she doesn't get employed deliberately with an intention to secure maintenance order from court, her maintenance petition can be dismissed as per recent supreme court order. In your case, since your brother isn't able to maintain himself and is in the care of his father will be given due consideration.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
278 votes

Hi sir/madam.
You don't worry sir they are threatening only k the latest superme court judgement clearly told that only give maintenance for 25% his salary

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles