Divorce on the ground of domestic violence

I got married 5 year ago I have a 3 year old daughter. After one year of marriage my in laws and husband started to torture me emotionally and mentally . They don't even care about me I am like a maid in that house .my married sister in law also live in same house due to her I have to work double and she also force me to commit suicide . my husband never gave me money for my needs.before two months when he did beat me I came back my home without my daughter. I didn't take any money even my jewellery from my in laws house . Now I want to take divorce and I also want my stridhan for my future life what should I do I also don't want to take custody of my daughter cause I don't have money and not even a job so I can take care of her

Answers (4)

262 votes

You file the divorce under section 13 of Hind u Marriage Act on the ground of cruelty. Further you also claim maintenance from your husband in the form of permanent alimony under section 25 of Hindu Marriage act as well as other relevant section of Hindu Adoption and Maintenance act.
If your in-laws and your hudband has treated you with cruelty and demanded dowry then you can file criminal case against them under section 498A of IPC. And if they have forced you to commit suicide you can file another criminal case. Also, you can if you want get the custody of your daughter. Also FIR undersection 498A will get your stridhan back.
For other details kindly contact me.
I have experience of these matter for more then 30 years. Thank you dear.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

104 votes

Ma'am the incidents what you told constitute cruelty which is ground for divorce, moreover you can file a petition for divorce along with an application under section 12 of the Protection of Women from Domestic violence Act

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
107 votes

Hello you told for divorce so you meet personally and told me full details and your needs after that file divorce case or else what is best remedy for you and also costedy of your child so personally contract

219 votes

Domestic Violence is a valid ground for obtaining divorce from your husband. You can also file a complaint under the Protection of women from Domestic Violence Act for the treatment meted out to you as mentioned by you above. you can also file a suit for maintenance.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles