After how many days of FIR can we file case in the court

In Criminal Law
Good morning. Sir we filed a case on male. He cheated my sister . He escaped before marriage. So we went to police station they told us to come after Muhurtham time until the we have to wait. The next day after Muhurtham time we filed a case. The police filed 420 case on him. But it's been more than 15 days but they r not responding and even they haven't not submit this case to court? Actually what is the time limit after filling an fir to produce it to court? Not even they haven't arrest that Bride yet.

Answers (3)

164 votes

If the accused arrested then Police have to produce him before Magistrate within 24 hours. If police have not arrested him means police is still investigating the case. There is no time limit for filing of a charge sheet though if an accused is in police custody or in judicial custody he is entitle to bail if charge sheet is not filed within 60 or 90 days under 167 Cr.P.C.

If you are aggrieved with police then you can always file a private complaint with Magistrate under 200 Cr.P.C. Good luck

Disclaimer: The response to your query is general in nature not a legal advice to provide solutions to an individual problem. The response will not create any attorney-client relationship. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. The firm, its advocates and staff are not liable for any consequence of any action taken by the readers relying on information provided herein. The firm expressly disclaims all liability in respect of actions taken or not taken based on any contents of this page.

Learn what are cognizable and non-cognizable offences and the difference between them with the help of this criminal law guide of India.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

211 votes

Any FIR filed under 420 case is a cognizable offence.
Generally, cognisable offence means a police officer has the authority to make an arrest without a warrant and to start an investigation with or without the permission of a court.
So, not sure why police want to take cognizance of the offence with the permission of court.
Courts generally take cognizance of such offences within 24 hours.
You should apply to High court and ask for directions for registration of FIR and commence investigation.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
242 votes

if any first information report is received it must be sent to court within 24 hours from the date of registering the crime. please see whether any receipt is given to you or not or else please encrypt your complaint in a white paper and register post to the concerned police station, superintendent of police, local magistrate having jurisdiction and district collector then only it will get registered and you can get justice

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles