Eligibility criteria for OBC non-creamy layer | Income Limit 2019

Hi, I am a 26 year old male living independently in Mumbai. I have a house under my own name and my annual income is approximately 5 lakhs per annum. I have recently acquired a ration card based on my new address. While I always had an OBC caste certificate, I never got any reservation benefit as my parents were earning more than the creamy layer cap. My father is 59 years old and earns approximately 8 lakhs per annum. My mother was a state government employee and retired in 2012. She presently gets a pension of approximately 3 lakhs per annum. I intent to continue my post graduation studies from Mumbai University next year along with my job. If my salary falls under 6 lakhs pa next year, can I be apply for non-creamy layer status as I no longer live with my parents nor do I share same residency? Also is OBC quota applicable to creamy layer OBC's when it comes to education? I intent to pursue my masters degree from Mumbai University. P.S: I am Hindu Sonar.

Except for the Tamil Nadu Government, every state government has made it mandatory to obtain an Other Backward Classes (OBC) certificate for the people who fall under this category while applying for central government jobs. The certificate is valid only for a year’s time from the date of receiving of the certificate.
On the basis of the parent's income of a person, OBCs have been divided into creamy layer OBC and non-creamy layer OBC. If the income of the parents of the person applying for the OBC certificate is above Rs. 8 Lakhs, the person will fall under the creamy layer category, whereas, if the income of the person's parents is below Rs. 8 Lakhs, the person would belong to non-creamy layer category.

The eligibility criteria for obtaining a non-creamy layer certificate has been listed below:

1. A person belonging to non-creamy layer category (i.e. parent's income is below Rs. 8 Lakhs) can only apply for this certificate.

2. If anyone of the person's parents is working under Group C and D officer category of the Central Government or under Group II, III and IV officer's category of the Tamil Nadu State Government then he/she will be eligible to apply for the certificate.

3. If a person is working under Group B officer category of the Central Government or Group I of the Tamil Nadu State Government then he/she is eligible to obtain the certificate provided that his/her parents do not receive any kind of income.

4. If the applicant's husband is working under Central Government, his wife is eligible to apply for OBC certificate provided that the wife’s parents do not receive any kind of income.

The people who are not eligible to apply for this certificate are as follows:

1. Certain castes that come under Backward Caste and Most Backward Caste who are not included in the Central Government’s OBC category cannot apply for this certificate.

2. If parents of the applicant are employed under Group A services like IPS, IAS, and IFS he is not eligible to apply for this certificate.

3. If the applicant’s parents are working under Group B officer category of the Central Government or parents working under Group 1 of the State Government then he/she is not eligible to apply for this certificate.

4. If the applicant’s parents’ income exceeds Rs. 8 lakhs, they are not eligible to apply for this certificate.

5. If the applicant’s parents are working in the private sector as a business person, lawyer, doctor, engineer and if their income is more than Rs. 8 lakh per annum, then they are not eligible to apply for this certificate.

OBC creamy and non-creamy layer income limit

The applicability of the OBC certificate is based on the income of the household. Apart from the annual income, if the parents are receiving any other income, then that income will also be considered to consolidate the sum of Rs. 8 lakh. The income received by parents who are working in the private sector will also be considered for consolidating the total amount. Income received from farming and agricultural activities will not be taken into account for evaluating the eligibility.

Therefore, if you fall under the criteria for eligibility listed above, the non-creamy layer quota will be applicable to you.

Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi