Creditor claiming more money than borrowed

A blank cheque was given as security to a friend (financier). Initially done transactions with 8% - 10% interest and he took entire amount. After some days given some amount and delayed for a period of time and again paid more than what I took. he took blank cheques for security and forcibly taken sign on a promissory note. then he calculated interest by interest and file a complaint under s 138 for an amount more than (10 times more what I took) with two cheques. One case by him and other by his friend(unknown).He deposited amount to my account not transferred and I paid interests and amount to his bank account. How to defend that the amount of cheques is not correct. I have transactions from my account to his account. please suggest.

Answers (1)

174 votes

Dear Sir,
Such cases are frequent in the recent past. The so called country borrowers and petty money lenders taking shelter under NI Act and also getting undue advantage of Section 138 of NI Act. To be frank the advocates taking casual defenses. Since there is recent Supreme Judgment which is in favour of financiers/bankers as such the defense must be so stitched so that the complainant cannot establish his case. The following issues may have to be looked into carefully and putforth before Trial Judge.
1. The date of issue of cheque book which establishes that the so called cheque was issued long back and the complainant entered his own date and his own amount.
2. Endorsement must be taken from the bankers to show that such cheque leaf was issued on such and such date.
3. Your bank statement must be produced to show that all other cheques in the said cheque book were already used long back except the disputed two cheques.
4. The source of income of the complainant must be agitated and he must be called upon to produce IT returns with balance sheet if any disclosing the loan amount advanced to you, whether reflected in the said balance sheet.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
8 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles