Cheque bounce case against undated cheque given 3 years ago,what to do

Need Legal advise on Section138.
1. I gave an undated Cheque 3 years back to a person as a security of some businesses we were running.
2. Now he has filled date\amount by his own and went to bank branch for withdrawl.
3. Bank said Vide memo "Due to insufficient Balance".
4. Now he has filed Section 138 in court after 4 years.
5. Although all the business terms were settled up and now he is using this as his personal benefit and blackmailing us.
Note:- He does not have any proof of any debt or liability on me. And neither me has any proof of said cheque given to him as a security.

Answers (5)

272 votes

Dear client,

As your said reason, you have to contest the matter. If matter is at the stage of summons, you may file as review application as to look into the maater of your liability. In furtherence you have to contact with Adcocate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

67 votes

Sir, you can defend the case on facts stated by you. Rest you will have to discuss after meeting an advocate. You have a good case and great chances of success. Rest it depends on how case is fighted by you.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
241 votes

Do not worry. Complaint has to prove debt or liability otherwise he will not get benefit. Have you made any document regarding the security ? You can not say 4 year back cheque, because it is dated currently and case is admitted under limitations.

224 votes

You will have to contest the case that cheque has been misused and it was given as a security cheque.
The point which is specifically to be proved is that there was no legally enforceable debt.
If it is proved, you would be acquitted in the case.

173 votes

Well you cans et up a defence before the court but more importantly you missed out on telling whether did you reply to his legal notice or not. The contents of your reply if already given would also play an important role but you can show to the court that there is no liability.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles