Notice received to guarantor for not paying loan amount by person

I’m personal loan guarantor to someone who has defaulted several emis. The person was my colleague but is now not working with me. I have his phone number but is not answering my calls. I’ve received a notice from an advocate asking to pay dues or bank will file lawsuit. The notice is on his office address but since he isn’t working here with me, obviously he won’t get the notice. What do I do now.

Answers (2)

315 votes

By entering into a guarantee agreement you are promising the bank that you will pay the amount due to the bank in case of the default of the principal borrower. That means your liability is coextensive with that of the borrower. The bank is at liberty either to proceed against you or the borrower to realise its dues. This is the law. In your case, since there is a clear case of intentional cheating, you can file a criminal complaint for cheating as against the borrower. But your liability with the bank will still stand. You may find the person's address and aid the bank in recovering the amount from him.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

153 votes

The borrower and you are equally liable to repay the loan amount in full. You have to find out the present whereabouts of the borrower and his address. Also you have press him to repay the loan installments. Otherwise bank will file a recovery suit before the court against the borrower and you.

Popular Banking / Finance Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Banking / Finance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles