quesSelling products using my Brand Name without any authorization

My Trademark application is filed only 2-3 days back and it is visible on trademark website. Can I claim its ownership and send legal notice to the person who is selling products using my brand name?

• ansNo, you cannot claim the ownership under trademark act for infringement of your right and tradmark till you get the registration number.

But you can sue and send a legal notice to other party for passing off on the basis of your popularity and the date of use of your trademark, that you are a prior user of said brand name and the said brand name is your synonym .

• ansSince you trademark application has been filed only 2-3 days back that means that the application is pending before the Registrar of Trademark and your mark has not been registered. If a mark is not registered, then infringement cannot be claimed against another party but passing off can be claimed. So you can send a notice to the other party for passing off their goods as yours. However one of the precondition for passing off is that you should be a prior user then the party to whom you are sending the notice. Also goodwill and reputation of the mark is so importance in passing off.

Nizamuddin East, Delhi

• ansNo, you cannot claim the ownership under trademark act for infringement of your right and tradmark till you get the registration number. But you can sue and sent a legal notice to other party for passing off on the basis of your popularity and the date of use of your trademark. That you are a prior user of said brandname and the said brand name is you synonim.

Advocate Ankur Aggarwal

Uday Park, Delhi

• ansYes. The notice will be for "passing-off" and not "infringement" since your application is still pending. What is critical is that you have been using the mark before the other party. Consult a lawyer asap.

Advocate Dhruv Suri

Barakhamba Road, Delhi