husband and family asking for stridhan
Hi i recently got married and have a baby girl... My husbands family looked after all Marriage expense (Around 10 Lakhs).. We didn't even pay a penny.But i was put on 20 Savaran gold .. I have to do so much adjustments with my in-laws like respect though they dont respect our family that much.....My husband always supporting his family though he doesn't do any harm... They asking me to do 3 time cooking.washing.cleaning house... I am not willing to do all on my own.... Conversation became thick with foul languages.... I plan to get divorced....But they told me to take back my jewels(25 savarans) My husband returned back the ring we gave him at the marriage..... But asking me the gold they put on marriage (Its about 10 savaran for mangal sutra and bangles ) and marriage expenses..... what do i do ? Can i keep it all their jewels and dont want to repay marriage expenses.
The gifts/ornaments you received from either side is your property called stridhan. So legally you are not bound to return the ornaments even if your in laws has gifted you in marriage.
Try for mutual divorce first as it will take less time, if husband refuses then file contested divorce suit.
You can file case for maintenance and domestic violence as well if there was instances of torture on you.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- want to know the details of the will
- Daughter asking for her share in the property.
- Can third party get the promotion committee report of govt. employees?
- Can land in mother's name be divided among her children
- Procedure to stop government from going to appeal at High Court