Name wrongly written in registered property documents. How to change?

My mother name currently in all Govt. documents is " A. Meenakshi ". However, in property document registered in Tamil Nadu (year 1981), it is wrongly/incorrectly/incompletely mentioned as " O. Meena ". 1) What is the solution to change the old name to new name cos we do not have document substantiating as " O. Meena ". 2) She is currently 60yrs residing in Chennai with her husband and two sons (myself and sibling). WE are worried how to change to document from her to both of us.

Answers (2)

259 votes

Whether your mother mutated the revenue records on her name after purchasing the said property?, if so what was the name to which it was mutated? While posting a question it becomes your duty to give proper details so that you will get a proper opinion and suggestion to carry out further tasks in this regard.

However since a rectification deed is not possible at this belated stage, you may try other measure/steps to rectify the mistake, i.e. by creating an affidavit duly notarised stating that both the names belong to one and the same person and that the name found in the sale deed document is an error which occurred due to over sight and this document may be attached to the original sale deed while disposing or transferring the property from her name to any other person.
She can execute a registered gift or settlement deed in favor of you both subsequently.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

96 votes

Dear Madam,

It happens sometimes during documentation, This can be rectified by a rectification deed singed by the Vendor, if the vendor is alive. Another option is please make a declaration affidavit that A. Meenakshi and O.Meena is one and the same.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles