Legal procedure for rebuilding house on ancestral property.

My grandfather died a few months back without any will, leaving behind my grandmother, Two Sister and two brothers. Me & my uncles family stay in Mumbai. We have small house in our home town, my grandmother is still staying there, as she don't want to come to mumbai, we are rebuilding this house. As this house is very old and some of his part started falling. One of my aunt husband is trying threat us that you cannot build this house without my wife signature & her permission. Also he is threat us that he will send us legal notice to stop the work & separate the house Property & agriculture land. We do not want to separate house & land. My grand mother & other aunt has no problem rebuilding this house. Pls. guide for further action.

Answers (4)

First you can make complaint to Municipal authority in regard to that Municiapal corproation will evaluate building condition and pass order regarding the same
Once you receive accent from them then you can approach court or authority to implement the same and you will get Police protection too

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Your aunt's husband does not have any interest in the house under the applicable inheritance laws. So he can't object to your renovating the house. You can take a written NOC from your aunt and other legal heirs of your grandad for purpose of renovation to keep the records straight, should anyone object.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
LH House, Bangalore
13 years Experience

It's better to discuss and sort things first than going into clutches of legal dispute and then ratifying things. Appoint a local advocate and take his guidance wrt avoidance of legal battle and amicable settlement.

There are 2 aspects of the matter.First is construction/repair of property. 2nd aspect is the right of your aunt in the property. So far as first aspect is concerned, no doubt you can the repair the property without any consent of your aunt. After the construction your aunt will have right in new constructed portion also. She can file suit for seeking partition and separate possession if she has not relinquished her share in eyes of law. Similarly she can also seek partition of agricultural land.If you want to demolish the existing structures completely and wanted to reconstruct new building, then the consent of your aunt is required, if her name is entered in property card.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

My grand father has been cheated by some one and his entire property has been taken by the cheater in 1978. Can I take back the property now?   …

Read More

Hi, My grandfather deceased now. He have 1 son(My father) and 1 daughter. My Father have 1 son and 1 daughter(myself). My brother got the property fro…

Read More

My Grand father bought a property in 1975. He died in 1982. Now the property is in my grand mother name. They have a Son & 2 Daughters. All are ma…

Read More

My father house is now being leased for 2.75 lakhs by sister without my consent. A fake document that I have agreed to it has been prepared but they a…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue