×

quesCan NRI buy property in India through an appointed of POA?

an nri wants to purchase my flat.he has given full amount.but as he cannot come for registration he asks me to execute a power opf attorney in his sisters faour.what document need i take from purchaser to this affect.so that he cannot claim later that poa was executed without his consent

A Non Resident can purchase a residential property in India through a Power of Attorney (POA). However the Power of Attorney must be signed in the presence of 2 witnesses and notarised by the Indian Consulate/Embassy.

The POA must be registered with the Sub Registrar/SDM Office and once registered it can be used for registration of the property in the buyers name.

Please do ensure that the POA executed is for a specific purpose such as purchase of the property.

Also do ensure that the remittance is through proper banking channels as per RBI guidelines.

• ansA Non Resident can purchase a residential property in India through a Power of Attorney (POA). However the Power of Attorney must be signed in the presence of 2 witnesses and notarised by the Indian Consulate/Embassy. The POA must be registered with the Sub Registrar/SDM Office and once registered it can be used for registration of the property in the buyers name. Please do ensure that the POA executed is for a specific purpose such as purchase of the property. Also do ensure that the remittance is through proper banking channels as per RBI guidelines.

Advocate Praneeta Sharma

Saiyad Ul Ajaib, Delhi

• ansPower of attorney needs to be drafted using the previous sale deed, khata and tax paid receipt. After the same is done the grantor has to take a print is the country he is residing and thereafter send to to India to his sister. After the same is received in India it has to be acknowledged by the concerned District Registrar by paying necessary stamp duty.

Advocate Tanushree Sahani

Jakkur, Bangalore

• ansHi, General Power of Attorney is sufficient if he executed a General Power of Attorney then you can register the property to in the name of his sister, you need not ask any documents from him as you are going to sell the property.

Advocate Pradeep Bharathipura

Rajajinagar, Bangalore