non Payment of electricity bill by tenant how to recover

My tenant recently vacated the premises on 18th july 15 appx 11.00 p.m. He got electricity bill till 16th july 15 i.e. 28 days which he has paid. But problem is that, he is denying to pay for extra 2 days (on average basis). Is he right legally ? please help. thanks

Answers (2)

272 votes

you file a recovery suit on the basis of pending bill by showing his tenancy. please see that you have a clause for electricity in the agreement with the tenant. if it is written in the agreement that tenant has to pay the bill then you can recover from him.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

91 votes

Two days is acutally a meagre period, however you can write to him personally asking him to pay for certain units consumed within those two days by him. you do not have any such remedy legally since the time period is too short.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."