quesCan father who is a tenant transfer the premises to his son?

Regarding tenancy premises. If it is in name of the father, the son is staying with father and can father transfer it to son? If the father expires, then what will happen? If father can transfer the premises or tenancy to son, does daughter have share in it?

  • ansA father can not transfer the tenancy right in your favour without the consent of the landlord. A tenant can not dispose off his interest even by the testamentary disposition i.e. Will as held by the Supreme Court in the matter of Dr. Anant Trimbak Sabnis V/S Vasant P. Pandit. A father can though allow his son to stay along with him in the tenanted premises.
    If your father is the tenant and you are residing in that premises with him, then in case of your fathers demise you shall continue to reside in the said premises as a tenant. only the persons who are residing with the afther at the time of ghis demise are allowed to continue to reside as tenants.

    Advocate Sagar Kothari

      District Court Shivajinagar, Pune

  • ansFather can at most transfer his tenancy rights in tenanted premises but can't transfer premises itself as ownership of tenanted premises is always with the landlord and not tenant. Upon expiry of your father tenancy rights will be inherited by his legal heirs including you

    Advocate Radhika Pachpor

      Erandwane, Pune

  • ansSir,

    As per tenancy law the tenancy cannot be transferable. In case father expires and son is living since his birth he can carry on and claim tenancy right being legal heir of the deceased tenant.Even daughter has share in it unless she is unmarried.

    Advocate Pramod Kale

      District Court, Shivajinagar, Pune

  • Send Legal Notice For Tenant Eviction With Expert Lawyers
    Know More

    Click here to see all Landlord/Tenant Legal Services
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Landlord/Tenant lawyers in India

Similar questions

Landlord is not ready to share the PAN number also not ready to sign on…

Sub-tenant did financial fraud, After getting complain police lock the office and took the key.…

We have a tenant on upper floor of our house and the other floor is…
Is it illegal to rent out flat to bachelor ?can co op housing society stop…

Landlord/Tenant Lawyers in India

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Ujwal Phasate

  Kukde Lay Out
 Experience: 8 years

Advocate Rajat Joseph

  Nizamuddin East
 Experience: 15 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly