Job rejected as the university has reputation of giving fake degrees

My client who is a private limited company, released an offer letter to a potential employee. The letter had a clause stating: “Your employment with us is confirmed, subject to an educational background check” The results of the background check later revealed that the candidate had a degree from a university that has a reputation for issuing fake degrees. The candidate’s degree itself however, was not fake. Can the offer of employment now be rescinded validly?

Answers (3)

264 votes

They cannot remove you on this ground. However, companies have the upper hand in cancelling the offer. You cannot help it. Speak to them. Try to convince them.

Shoe them some proof that you studied there. Maybe photo, records etc.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

246 votes

Yes, as the appointment with the Company was subject to an educational background check, it can be rescinded. The candidate should be able to prove that the degree issued to him by the University of College is not fake so as to get his appointment cleared. Only on the basis of the College reputation the degree cannot be said to be fake.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
110 votes

is your client has accepted an offer letter or not?

they cant do so if done you can approach the appropriate court for the remedy and other compensation

please contact me for the detail as I need the more clarification.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles