How to protect oneself from sexual harassment at workplace

hello I am a single working lady in Mumbai. I have experienced sexual harassment in offices. I have complained to the hr however they save the accused. they are bpo international companies and they have no cctv cameras. How can I defend myself and what are my rights...who can I go to ask for help.thanks

Answers (3)

92 votes

You can do the following:
Under the Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace Act, you can complain to the Internal Complaints Committee to decide whether the harassment suffered by a victim. An important feature of the "POSH" Act is that it envisages the setting up of a grievance redressal forum in your employment place.

At the district level, the Government is required to set up a ‘local complaints committee’ (“LCC”) to investigate and redress complaints of sexual harassment from the unorganized sector or from establishments where the ICC has not been constituted on account of the establishment having less than 10 employees or if the complaint is against the employer.

You can find relevant information on this link:

You can also file an FIR against your employer and the accused persons.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

63 votes

It's very serious issue. Firstly inform to HR that it's very serious issue and saving criminal is also crime. So if they don't listen then firstly You should contact with your family members and then go to nearest police station and make complaint against them. just be brave and fight back with all devils.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
274 votes

A three member panel / committee has to be formed in each establishment where women employees are working, to redress the sexual harassment complaints. You can approach such panel for redressal of your complaint. If such panel / committee is not constituted in your workplace, you need to contact a lawyer for approaching law enforcement authorities.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles