Husband demands wife to leave job & settle down in village

When i was ill, my husband dropped me to my father's home , told me that i will take you back to home when you feel better. The next day he shifted the room and went to village without informing me and he gave me reason that his parents are not well so he suddenly took that decision. Now he is telling me that i have to leave the job and settle down to village. But i dont want to leave my job . And i dont want to settle down over there. Because there i cant find the job which suitable for my profession. By religion i am Buddhist.

Answers (2)

164 votes

Hi client, whether you are a Sikh or a Buddhist, you will fall under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. The Hindu Marriage Act ,1955 defines the legal status of Jains, Buddhists and Sikhs as legal Hindus but not "Hindus by religion". However, under this act, the wife's duty to stay in her husbands home and under one roof is an obligation. You both can decide at one place and come out with a solution for your profession and working. Your husband can file a divorce case under dessertion if you stay away from your husband for a longer time. It will amount to a violation of legal duty. This provides for an immediate remedy where either of the spouses falters in his or her obligation to provide the society and sustenance to the other. Indeed, the obligation to live, together under a common roof is inherent in the concept of a Hindu marriage, and, to mind, it cannot be torn as under unilaterally by the desire of the wife to live separately and away from the matrimonial home merely for the reason of either securing or holding a job elsewhere. If you have a child born out of your wedlock, your husband cannot get exemption for not maintaining you and children. This legal obligation on the part of the wife is not without its co-related right. The husband in Hindu Law is obliged to maintain his wife during her life-time and equally is under heavy obligations to sustain the minor children from the wedlock, the unmarried daughters till their marriage.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

196 votes

If you feel your job is important than you husband's proposal to settle at village then it's all upon your decision on it.
Your husband can not force you to leave job and settle at village and you can not force him to leave his unwell parents at village and settle at City. You both have to discuss with each other and will have choose a middle line with better understanding, if want to proceed happily with this marriage tie.
Or otherwise you have to send a Legal Notice to him with your demands and for that you will have to contact me

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."